Three young couples head off into the woods for a weekend of camping, beer-guzzling and love-making. Shortly into their trip, however, one of their group, Kiyomi, notices the strange sound of bells ringing in the distance, prompting her would-be boyfriend Mel to investigate. Upon stumbling across a Civil War cemetery, Mel makes the ill-fated decision to pocket an old diary he finds hidden at the site, which details the violent fate of the Confederate soldiers buried there. Little does he realize that this seemingly small act of theft will have grave consequences, as its pilfering triggers a horde of rotting, undead soldiers to awaken from their tortured slumber, ready to feast on Yankee flesh!
The second feature from producer/director Tony Malanowski, THE CURSE OF THE SCREAMING DEAD (aka Curse of the Cannibal Confederates) came into being when Malanowski was offered money by the distributor of his first film, Night of Horror, to shoot additional gore scenes for that picture – and decided to make a new movie altogether! Taking the basic premise of Night of Horror (and several cast members for good measure), Malanowski’s second directorial effort dramatically ups the ante, filling its runtime with grisly zombie action, complete with innumerable exploding heads and lingering scenes of gleefully gooey entrail-chomping. Now lovingly restored in 2K from its original 16mm camera reversal by the gut-munching ghouls at Vinegar Syndrome, THE CURSE OF THE SCREAMING DEAD claws its way up from the dirt, loaded with a veritable feast of newly-produced extras telling the fascinating story behind the making of this regional zombie epic, alongside a new restoration of Night of Horror, all hitting Blu-ray for the very first time!
directed by: Tony Malanowski
starring: Steve Sandkuhler, Christopher Gummer, Rebecca Bach, Judy Dixon, Jim Ball
1982 / 89 min / 1.33:1 / English 1.0 Mono
Program Content © 1982 Troma, Inc.
- 2-disc Region Free Blu-ray Set
- Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 16mm camera reversal
- Commentary track with producer/director/editor Tony Malanowski and actor Steve Sandkuhler for The Curse of the Screaming Dead
- “Night of Horror” (1981) – a feature-length film directed by Tony Malanowski
- Commentary track with producer/director/editor Tony Malanowski and actor Steve Sandkuhler for Night of Horror
- “Scream On! The Making of The Curse of the Screaming Dead” (50 min) – documentary featuring interviews with producer/director/editor Tony Malanowski and actors Steve Sandkuhler, Rebecca Bach and Chris Gummer
- “Bart Mixon: The Man Behind the Masks” (12 min) – an interview with special make-up effects artist Bart Mixon
- “The Score of the Screaming Dead” (15 min) – featurette with composer Charlie Barnett and recording engineer Jim Crenca
- “Oh, What a Night… of Horror!” (43 min) – documentary on the making of Night of Horror, featuring interviews with producer/director/editor Tony Malanowski and actors Steve Sandkuhler and Rebecca Bach
- “A Morning After a Night of Horror: The “Unmade” Making of…” (20 min) – an interview with Night of Horror fans Rosie Nakamura and Autumn Nakamura Neal
- “I Put a Spell on You” (29 min) – Nightmare USA author Stephen Thrower on Night of Horror and The Curse of the Screaming Dead
- Outtakes for The Curse of the Screaming Dead (8 min)
- Original video trailer under the title of Curse of the Cannibal Confederates
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- English SDH subtitles