Desire / All My Good Countrymen (Second Run UK) (Blu-Ray All Region) Preorder
Second Run present two films by Vojtěch Jasný, one of Czechoslovak cinema’s most enowned and influential film artists. Jasný’s acclaimed feature, Desire (Touha, 1958), poetically intertwines four stories of Czech rural life. A key film in the evolution of Czechoslovak cinema, Second Run present Desire for the first time anywhere on Blu-ray. 1959 Cannes Film Festival / Winner: Special prize, Prix de la meilleure sélection
“After long years of deliberate stifling of form, Desire resurrected in Czech cinema the nfilm poetry once upon a time introduced to it by Rovenský, Frič, Vančura, and Vávra” Jan Žalman, Films and Filmmakers
Jasný’s autobiographical All My Good Countrymen (Všichni dobří rodáci, 1968) is one of the wonders of the Czech New Wave. Its deceptively simple narrative weaves a complex tapestry around the interwoven lives of a group of villagers immediately following the ‘socialization’ of Czechoslovakia in 1948. The film remains a potent reminder of lives, friendships and idealism lost under totalitarian rule. Presented from a glorious new 4K restoration, All My Good Countrymen makes its world premiere on Blu-ray. 1969 Cannes Film Festival / Winner: Best Director; Winner: Jury Prize
“An historic film for both its extraordinary poetic and social qualities and its position as the masterpiece of Vojtěch Jasný” New York Times Voted by critics in the ‘Top 3 Czechoslovak films of all time’
Two-disc Special Edition Blu-ray Special features:
• Two-disc Blu-ray Special Edition.
• Desire presented from a new HD transfer by the Czech National Film Archive.
• All My Good Countrymen presented from an HD transfer of the new 4K restoration by
the Czech National Film Archive.
• Vojtěch Jasný introduces All My Good Countrymen (2015).
• It’s Not Always Cloudy (Není stále zamračeno, 1949): Jasný’s rediscovered feature-
length semi-documentary graduation film, co-directed by Karel Kachyňa.
• Bohemian Rhapsody (Česká rapsodie, 1969): Jasný’s acclaimed short film.
• Interview with Vojtěch Jasný (1988): an archival interview with the celebrated filmmaker
made for the Channel 4 television series The Other Europe.
• An interview with actress Drahomíra Hofmanová (2015).
• Peter Hames on Vojtěch Jasný (2015).
• A Projection Booth audio commentary on All My Good Countrymen with Mike White,
Spencer Parsons and Chris Stachiw.
• Booklet featuring an expansive essay on Jasný by author Peter Hames.
• New and improved English subtitle translations.
• Reversible sleeve.
• World premieres on Blu-ray.
• Region Free (A/B/C) Blu-rays.