“Boys will be boys in this scathing psychological thriller set within the hidebound but testosterone-charged confines of a remote coastal British private school, produced by and starring David Hemmings (Blow Up, Deep Red).
John Ebony is the idealistic young schoolmaster who arrives at Chantrey School for Boys on his first assignment, employed to fill the shoes of his predecessor Pelham who has recently been found dead at the bottom of a nearby cliff. Taking up residence in a cottage in the school’s grounds with his restless young wife Sylvia (Carolyn Seymour), Ebony is eager to make a good impression, but immediately gets off on the wrong foot with his assigned pupils, discovering the boys of class Lower 5B, minus the perpetually absent Zigo, to be unruly and defiant. However, they might possibly know more about Pelham’s demise than the school’s headmaster and his fellow staff are letting on.
Masterfully shot by cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A Space Odyssey) and directed by John Mackenzie (The Long Good Friday), this film adaptation of Giles Cooper’s classic play is presented on home video for the first time ever. Unman, Wittering and Zigo presents a scathing exposé of the kind of environment from which brutish empires are born.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
– High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
– Original lossless English mono audio
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
– Brand new audio commentary by Sean Hogan and Kim Newman
– Brand new appreciation by critic, broadcaster and cultural historian Matthew Sweet
– Unman, Terhew, Lipstrob and Mrs Ebony, featurette with cast members Michael Howe, Michael Cashman, James Wardroper and Carolyn Seymour looking back at the production
– The original 1958 recording of Giles Cooper’s radio play
– Original trailer
– Image gallery
– Double sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Eric Adrian Lee
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Eric Adrian Lee
– Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kevin Lyons and Oliver Wake”
THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON OR ABOUT 8/22/23
ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER
AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE
ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE
WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER
ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE