One of the finest directors of Japanese chambara (sword fighting) films, Hideo Gosha (Sword of the Beast, Three Outlaw Samurai) also directed a number of films in the yakuza genre. The most outstanding of these was Violent Streets; a baroque crime thriller about a retired yakuza who gets pulled into a violent gang war by his former associates.
A former yakuza member, Egawa (Noboru Andô) is now a brooding world-weary nightclub owner. Some of his former associates are released from prison and want to regain a foothold in the criminal underworld by igniting a gang war between the local yakuza, and an out-of-town clan led by veteran actor Tetsurō Tanba (Harakiri).
A bold and colourful entry in the yakuza genre, Hideo Gosha’s Violent Streets makes its worldwide debut on Blu-ray from a new restoration completed by Toei Company, Ltd.
- Limited Edition slipcase featuring new artwork by Tony Stella [2000 copies]
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration of the original film elements
- Optional English subtitles
- An introduction to Violent Streets and the works of director Hideo Gosha by film critic Tony Rayns
- Jasper Sharp on Violent Streets
- A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes
- **All Extras subject to change
- Country: Japan
- Language: Japanese
- Year: 1974
- Runtime: 99
- Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
- Colour: Colour
- Certificate: TBC
- Subtitles: Optional English subtitles
- Genre: Action
- SKU: EKA70486
- 1 Disc
THIS IS A REGION B DISC. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IF YOU ARE UNSURE IF YOU CAN PLAY IT